It may not seem like it – what with all this rain and grey skies we’ve been experiencing in Durban – but summer is here and that means it’s beach season honey!
Now is the perfect opportunity to write a blog on beach makeup! Yes … beach makeup. I know I know … you’re probably thinking makeup on the beach?!! Really!!!!!! Never fear my friends, makeup works anywhere – as long as you do it properly.
And believe me, all of us want that a natural, golden glow as we head off to bare our souls to the sea and sunshine! A few months ago, my friends and I visited Dubai in 45°C heat! We managed a bit of light makeup at the beach. So, here are a few simple steps to follow before you head out to get our tan on ?
A beach-ready face
- Clean, prep and moisturise your skin.
- Don’t forget to use a good sunblock. My go-to is Eucerin Sun Fluid Anti Age. It’s not greasy, lightweight and oh so moisturising.
- As I’ve said in my previous blog MAC’s Face and Body foundation is my absolute favourite. It has a beautiful satin finish, it offers light – but buildable – coverage and it doesn’t cake or settle in fine lines or pores. Finally, if you’re heading for a swim at the beach, this little gem is water resistant. Win! ?
- Follow your foundation with a slight dust of powder over your T panel.
- Add a bit of illuminator on the spots where sunlight naturally touches your face first – cheekbones, forehead, chin. I’m in love with my Huda 3D highlight in Fiji. It’s a creamy formula and stays on the entire day. I find it works best for me if I mix it into my foundation. I also love MAC’s lustre drops, which you can also mix into your foundation for an all over glow. If you’re targeting specific areas of your face, then use your illuminator after applying your foundation.
Benefit’s Gimme Brow is on my fave list. It’s a tinted gel-like formula with tiny fibres that add volume to your eyebrows. Once it is dry you can add an extra coat or two if necessary.
- Apply a bit of blush to the apples of your cheeks and work outwards towards your hairline. Remember, for the beach less is more so add just a subtle bit of colour to your cheeks.
- For a natural beachy look, choose a lipstick that closely matches your own lip colour. If you want something that pops, then use a lipliner and add a lip balm over that. I love colour and accessories, so I sometimes put on an arm full of colourful beaded bracelets and maybe a flowery pair of earrings with a bold pink lip, which will eventually fade into a pink lip tint.
- I don’t like wearing eyeliner to the beach. But if you do, press it into your lash line and smudge it in for a softer look.
- I feel the same way about mascara for the beach as I do about eyeliner. But Benefit’s They’re Real is long wearing, volumising and simply amazing. A light coat on the outer edges of your lashes will serve you well this summer.
That’s it, friends – you’re beach-ready in a few easy steps. You could even use this routine for a natural, dewy, every day makeup look as well. Experiment a bit until you are happy with the result. Soak up the sun, enjoy the ocean and have a fabulous beach day!.